Most contractors can tell your stories of the times they’ve repaired other contractors’ shoddy work. The last thing you want when remodeling your home is completing the same project twice!
If a contractor’s bid is much lower than the other bids you receive, that contractor may employ one or more tricks. They may
order the cheapest materials;cut on labor costs by working hastily, which can often translate into carelessness;hire inexperienced, inexpensive labor orignore a problem when something unexpected comes up.
It may take some checking around to make sure you hire an honest and reliable contractor. But if you want quality work and you want it completed within your time frame, your sleuthing will pay off. These tips will help you find the best contractor for the job:
- Set up appointments with at least three contractors and ask for quotes that itemize labor and materials.
- Ask for references and contact these references. Ask them if they were satisfied and if the contractor completed the job on time.
- Check the Better Business Bureau for reports from other customers. Sometimes even the best contractors receive complaints, so if you do find a complaint, find out if the contractor resolved it.
- Ask for the type of insurance the contractor holds and the name of the carrier. Verify whether the policy is sufficient and current.Ask to see the contractor’s license.
- Have the contractors give you their quotes in writing.
Your detective work will reward you when your contractorcompletes your home remodel project on time, within budget and to your satisfaction.